Buying a House in Spain

When buying a property in Spain as a foreign national, the most important documents you will need to have is an NIE (Número de Identidad de Extranjero), your passport (or national identity card) and a Spanish bank account.  An NIE can be obtained by attending a previously arranged appointment in the relevant police station, with your Passport/ID card.  You will be issued with either a plastic credit-card type document or an A4 green paper, which will include your unique identification number. This number is probably the most important thing in your life in Spain, as you will need to use it often in everyday life.  If you cannot attend the appointment in the police station in person, it is possible to send someone on your behalf, and the document is usually available for collection 10-14 days after application.

A Spanish bank account is a necessity as you will normally need to pay utility bills and property taxes from a Spanish bank.  Some companies such as alarms or internet companies will allow you to pay with a credit card, but most don’t allow a foreign bank account to be used for a direct debit.
 
If you require a mortgage to buy a property, you will need to have other paperwork to support the mortgage application such as 6 months bank statements, payslips and tax returns.  It can also be helpful to include a credit report. Spanish banks will generally lend a max of 70% of the property purchase price, which means you will need to finance the remaining 30% and any purchase costs.
 
We work with many lawyers and banks, and if you would like a recommendation of a lawyer or some help arranging a mortgage on your dream property, please contact us.